This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission if you choose to purchase through the links at no additional cost to you.
This post was originally published on 2.19.18 and updated on 5.6.18.
Some of you may know, I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home most of the time. However, working from home isn’t always as interactive and social, so I try and get out by visiting local coffee shops. There are so many local spots in Reno! It is a little out of control, and I don’t have time to cover all of them so I am sorry if I missed your favorite spot. But I’d love to try it out, so be sure to comment below! I spent the last couple weeks sitting in different places to see which ones I enjoyed most and wanted to put together a Reno Local Coffee Shop Guide with our current favorites – mainly mine, because let’s be real, Leanna just loves her lattes and teas.
My Palette (Kit) – Bold, Dark Roasts. Usually Ethiopian or Columbian
Leanna’s Palette – Cream with a side of Coffee, Vanilla Lattes, Hot Cocoa, and Tea (oh, food is a plus too!)
Hub on Riverside
I enjoyed the Hub! It was a nice environment to sit in and the design is very appealing. I found myself sitting there for multiple hours in the tea area reading articles and sending emails. It was pleasant and the staff was really great!
Coffee was delicious as usual, and the way they roast their beans is delicious. It’s a bold cup of coffee. I highly recommend it. I will say the food section at Hub is a bit pricey, but if you are already there, it makes sense since there really isn’t anything else around. Leanna is currently loving their new location at the Reno Town Mall. The vibe is a little different in terms of area, but everyone is always so welcoming there.
Nameless Coffee and Tea House
They just rebranded! You may know this place as Blue Whale Coffee on Cheney Street across from Pinion and Noble Pie Parlor. The owner is one of the nicest guys I have met and usually the one making your coffee. This location used to be a Hub but since changed to Blue Whale and now Nameless Coffee.
Leanna isn’t a huge coffee person – let’s just say she likes coffee with her cream (but she’s getting there!) and she loves taking some time to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate or a mocha because of the intimate atmosphere at Nameless Coffee.
It is a smaller place, but the quaintness itself is inviting. They do have an outdoor space that is perfect for summer, spring, and fall. I find myself going in anytime I am in midtown getting my hair cut by the wonderful Courtney at Lokal Salon! (shameless plug for the best cut I have had in Reno that’s actually affordable!).
Situated closest to where we live, making me a little bias since I am there every day. The atmosphere is what I look for when I need to get work done. The staff is amazing and very inviting, but I will be honest, it’s hard to snag a solid table. My brain works best in controlled chaos and I think the hustle and bustle of this place coupled with the great staff lands it as my favorite spot to work.
To be a coffee snob, I will admit their coffee isn’t as good as the Hub because I think it is not as bold. I usually order an extra shot in my cappuccino.
Other Coffee Spots I Like
- Old World Coffee – probably my favorite coffee in terms of taste, very strong, but a limited menu
- DST Coffee – if only Gardnerville was closer! One of our best friends owns DST and they have all kinds of goodies (like food and soon to be ice cream) there.
- Homage – Not our first choice, but a good atmosphere.
- Swill Coffee – I mainly go here for 1 Million Cups, they host a lot of events here.
- Purple Bean – Leanna loved this place in college, sugary and sweet, but they also serve a good standard cup of coffee (usually an Ethopian or Columbian blend). Oh, and stamp card heaven!
- Starbucks – you ALWAYS know what you are going to get. Simple as that. (+Starbucks Rewards)
- Dutch Bros – want something sweet, filled with sugar, treat yo-self with Dutch Bros. Plus, they have a punch card (Buy 10, Get 1 FREE).
- Bibo – similar to Hub or Old World, a limited menu and a personal preference on which is your favorite location.
- Walden’s Coffeehouse – if you grab a cup of coffee on the go, that’s great, but we never stay there longer than 5 minutes or you will REEK like grease.
- Human Bean – not our favorite, but they give you chocolate espresso beans with your purchase. It is always a hit and miss with them making drinks properly.
- Global Coffee at The Basement – I wouldn’t go out of my way to get coffee there, but if you are near the area, it’s a good little place!
Coffee Spots I Want to Try
- Magpie Coffee Roasters – haven’t been there yet, but it is on our list!
- See See Motorcycles – a few baristas from other coffee spots we like have moved there, so we shall see how it is!
- Lighthouse Coffee – we don’t live in Sparks, but if we ever go down there, I’d try it.
If you have a favorite local spot around town, comment below so we can try it!
This post really makes me wish I was into coffee! Maybe I’ll pick up the habit one of these days!
All of these places sound incredible! There’s a local coffee shop that’s less than two miles from my apartment in both directions, so I love to work there when I need a change of scenery. One is downtown and always full of motion, and the other is on the river and is much quieter.
I’m not much of a coffee drinker myself, but I love getting a press pot of tea and people watching at quaint little coffee shops. It I ever find myself in Reno I think I’d head to Blue Whale for the cool cup art
I love coffee so I’d definitely hit these places up!
I love finding little coffee shops wherever I go! They’re so much more fun that sitting in Starbucks (and personally I don’t really care for Starbucks coffee). My roommate is from Portland and she absolutely loves Dutch Bros coffee.
I love doing work at coffee shops!! It’s such a productive environment for me to work in. I have been meaning to keep checking out more of them in my new city. 🙂
Ah, I feel like this post was made for me! I love finding new coffee shops!
omg yes im a sucker for a cute coffee shop – saving this for if im ever in town!
omg i could probably use some coffee right now xD what has my life come to when coffee looks delicious xD
omg i’m a coffee lover! such a fun post
This is a great comprehensive list. I’m with Aitza on the people watching at places like these. Always interesting.
i think local coffee shops are the BEST! whether i’m getting tea or coffee, i just love their vibe!
I’m not a big coffee drinker, but I love visiting local coffee shops. If I ever find myself in Reno, I definitely want to check some of these out.
Coffee shops are the best! This is such a lovely post idea, you’re inspiring me haha
I love Reno and try to travel out to Lake Tahoe as much as I can. I’ll totally have to check out these places next time my family and I are in town.
I absolutely love a good cup of coffee. This looks like an amazing way to enjoy it.